On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net> wrote:

> On 28/05/2015 03:17, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> [...] maybe it's time to say that 2.2's era is done, and
> 2.4's time is here, if not already past. I'm simply trying
> to encourage us to work on the future and not "focus" on
> the past. No need to read anything more into that [...]
>
> My apologies if "Anyone else think it's time to EOL 2.2 and focus
> on 2.4 and the next gen?" was such an egregious question!
> Shame on me for even asking! :)
>

> From the responses I got when I mentioned EOL 2.2 in a discussion a few
> months back, it was very clear a few here enjoy living in the dark ages and
> were most passionate about staying there for the time being :)

Or, a few here care about the users stuck in the situation of using the
software in front of them, instead of dovetailing sideways against the
current to build themselves a package that isn't in their distribution's
repository.  A few of us are very focused on the actual users using the
actual software they were presented with.

Hopefully, in a few years time, nobody will ever again be presented with
2.2, or 2.0, or 1.3.  Given the most-common 3-year refresh cycle followed
in our industry, that would mean about a year-and-a-half from now for SuSE
users, and more than two years from now for the poor RHEL and CentOS users.