> Am 25.09.2015 um 17:09 schrieb Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to propose that we consider mod_h2 in 2.4.x as CTR and
>>> in the same category as mod_lua... That is, somewhat "prod-experimental"
>>> in that some features may still change, but stable enough to be
>>> usable in production environs.
>>
>> I like "prod-experimental" because I think it is production ready, and
>> still it lets us optimize the interface without giving developpers
>> (not users!) strong garanties.
>>
>> Maybe the ALPN and protocol selection hooks could be marked as such
>> too, we could have the need to change a RUN_ONCE to a RUN_ALL for
>> those and shouldn't give too much garanties to other modules.
>>
>> So if we can find a good wording to also express "prod-ready" (I guess
>> it already runs successfully in some prods), I'm +1.
>

> Not to be a wet blanket, but I don't think we have any real data for
> the production part of that. We could say the interfaces,
> configuration and defaults are experimental in the volatile sense.

I am unable to vote no this since the exact definition of the tag
names are not know to me. I have a an idea though, of course...

That being said: The new protocols hooks and the coupling to mod_ssl
could very well need fine tuning. We have feedback from the mod_websocket
maintainer that that module would need some additions. So marking these
parts as "experimental" sounds prudent.

As to the production readiness, waters are much more murky:
- several peeps have it running. thx to them, we found some bugs, which
  we otherwise would not have caught that easily.
- we will continue to find bugs. httpd lives in a huge ecosystem and
  mod_h2 has not seen all sorts of weather yet.
- oth when I look back to what I have seen in enterprises deployed
  as "production ready", it looks very solid.
- As Yann mentioned, httpd stays able to rock-solid serve HTTP
  traffic from clients with mod_h2 unloaded. We have not implemented
  any APIs from mod_h2 to other modules (for example the Server Push)
  feature that would get lost when unloaded.
- Any hot fixes to mod_h2 itself, can be delivered to adventuring
  people via the github repo. With a 2.4.18 httpd out there, peeps
  can build mod_h2 for themselves so much more easily, basically
  just needing the proper apxs. That can give us fast turnaround
  on tests in deployed settings which we merge back to trunk,
  aggregate and backport for the next 2.4.x

Cheers,

  Stefan

<green/>bytes GmbH
Hafenweg 16, 48155 Münster, Germany