On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Just some food for thought; let me know if I'm off the rails.
>
> Over the last several months, it's appeared to me that we have
> been adding patches that feel, well, very-patchy to me. They
> feel like cumbersome add-ons that create some level of fragility
> to our code, with special one-off considerations instead of a
> deeper more complete fix. In other words, it seems that httpd is
> becoming more crufty rather than planned and cohesive and
> consistent.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

I agree. I recently contributed to the improvement of the Apache HTTP
server source code when I noticed that mod_dumpio.c was badly broken (it
does not correctly handle null bytes). Which caused me to subscribe to the
dev mailing list and read some earlier messages. I have been underwhelmed
with the quality of the arguments for a given change or the code itself.
Frankly, I would not allow almost all of the proposed changes I've seen
(including my first patch to mod_dumpio.c) to be accepted.

People reviewing changes to the existing code base have to be hard-nosed
assholes. You have to reject changes that are problematic unless there is
a) a "TODO" comment explaining the unresolved issues and b) a reason to
believe the contributor or someone might resolve those issues in the near
future. Similarly style issues are not just nitpicking. They are show
stoppers for accepting a change. Every time I look at code that has a style
different from the surrounding code it makes it more likely I'll overlook a
bug or misinterpret what the code does.

--
Kurtis Rader