On 25.11.2015 14:10, Mikhail T. wrote:

>> Two variables, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE control this text processing
>> behavior.  The above is the correct lower case transliteration for
>> Turkish.  In German, the upper case correspondence of sharp-S ß is
>> 'SS', but multi-char translation is not provided by the simple
>> tolower/toupper functions.
>>
> So, the concern is, some hypothetical header, such as X-ASSIGN-TO may,
> after going through the locale-aware strtolower() unexpectedly become
> x-aßign-to?
I just tested the above on both FreeBSD and Linux, and the results are
encouraging:

    % echo STRASSE | env LANG=de_DE.ISO8859 tr '[[:upper:]]' '[[:lower:]]'
    strasse

Thus, I contend, using C-library will not cause invalid results, and the
only reason to have Apache's own implementation is performance, but not
correctness.

    -mi