> On Jan 18, 2016, at 3:28 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 14, 2016, at 5:19 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >
> > Good point with your example, this is something that should
> > be benchmarked and the winner-take-all, loser bumped from the
> > trunk/ copy of httpd.
>
> -1
>
> You are implying that one would be a winner in all cases. The
> whole idea is that there are cases where one is better than
> the other. We provide both.
>
> You might have made that inference, but I'm going to assert that
> for this one module, for s/{literal}/{repl}, mod_sed is going to
> outperform mod_substitute /if/ we wrote the code correctly.

I disagree... it's kind of obvious by simple inspection that
mod_substitute has fast paths that mod_sed lacks and, as thus,
can be quite performant and the "better" choice in numerous cases
where that fast path is used.

Me, I don't tend to think of myself as "smarter" than all of
our users, nor do I try to act as Big Brother and remove choices
from people in cases and situations where they are using them.
The ASF itself doesn't do that, nor do projects... so it seems
kinda weird that you would want the httpd project to all of
a sudden start removing choice and options for end users instead
of helping them out and trusting them to know which impl is
best for them.