On Mar 23, 2016 6:23 AM, "Steffen" <i...@apachelounge.com> wrote:

> Just did a export;
>
> Diff with the vote 2.4.19 one:
>
> branches/2.4.x/modules/cache/mod_socache_shmcb.c

Correct.  I'm not claiming this is win32-specific, it only happens to show
up on that and other edge cases.

> branches/2.4.x/modules/http2/h2_filter.c

Again, a C89 regression breaking the candidate, but in an experimental
module that we don't promise will always build.  nghttp2 is filled with C99
code, AIUI - due to bad decisions about basic C types - that library can
only build.

> branches/2.4.x/modules/http2/mod_http2.dsp

Looking good.

> For remove mod_lbmethod-rr:
> branches/2.4.x/Makefile.win
> branches/2.4.x/Readme.cmake
> branches/2.4.x/Apache.dsw
> branches/2.4.x/Apache-apr2.dsw

This may be reverted of course, if someone believes we should persist this
non-compileable example.

> And a bunch of .dep and mak files added

This simplifies the process for users who don't want to go through a manual
process of converting archaic project files to Windows.

This is the same structure as in every httpd 2.2 tarball.

But an explanation is in order... I haven't directly used these build files
-myself- for creating anything other than ASF binaries in over a decade.
They were not suited for building component-by-component, only for building
the whole shooting match at once.  I've been building each component (pcre,
expat, zlib, apr etc etc) for forever now.

The .mak/.dep files and Makefile.win (which invokes these) supports only
the srclib/ subcomponents structure.  You'll find Windows .mak/.dep files
in those apr source projects as well.

So this change neither breaks nor fixes - it is an alternative to a manual
conversion - it merely simplifies building on Windows - until cmake builds
are considered the replacement.  The addition of these to the svn, rather
than only a win32 source tarball, has a lengthy discussion and rational in
dev@ archive already.

But I have no preference as a user, myself - my entire interest lies in
cmake.