On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 7:42 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> > branches/2.4.x/modules/http2/h2_filter.c
>
> Again, a C89 regression breaking the candidate, but in an experimental
> module that we don't promise will always build.  nghttp2 is filled with C99
> code, AIUI - due to bad decisions about basic C types - that library can
> only build.

Whoops, answering too quickly...

that library can only build *correctly* under the latest MSVC 14 (aka
Studio 2015)
when you are compiling for 64-bits on Windows (not an issue with 32 bit
builds).

In the past, size_t/ssize_t/ptrdiff_t and other alignment primitives failed
correspond to the width of their defined domain (size reflects memory, ergo
thes must be the same size, bitwise, as a void*).  This showed up very
egregiously in nghttp2 which (fairly) demands that the POSIX types reflect
their definitions.

MS finally is catching up to POSIX with their Studio 2015 product release.
So the antique .dsp is something of a red herring, you probably don't want
to ever run an nghttp2 app or library compiled against VC98, if building to
64-bits.  It is hardly a fully-conformant C99 compiler, but it comes a whole
lot closer than previous attempts.