On 13 Apr 2016, at 12:40 PM, Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de> wrote:

> I stumbled into a situation where a reverse proxy had two different backends
> behind the same VHost of the proxy. Both backends demand client certs as
> becomes more and more common for services today. Unfortunately the CA which
> issues the client certs in both cases is the same CA, but the demanded client
> cert is individual to the backend services.
>
> As far as I can see, this is currently not configurable. The
> SSLProxyMachineCertificateFile and SSLProxyMachineCertificatePath only work
> on the VHost level and the client cert detection algo in
> ssl_callback_proxy_cert() chooses the first client cert it can find which was
> issued b the right CA. No way to distinguish further.
>
> To me it looks like the "right" way of handling SSLProxy* config would be per
> <Proxy>. Did anyone else already encounter a similar problem? Any thoughts or
> experiments on how to solve this for the future?

I looked at this a while back.

The catch is that mod_ssl forces us to declare SSL certs and keys server wide,
not per directory, loaded and parsed at startup. We however want to specify
certs per directory.

What I had in mind was a syntax where the certs were named, for example:

SSLProxyCertificate foo /path/to/foo.cert

Followed somewhere else by:

<Proxy …>
  SSLProxyEnable foo
</Proxy>