Hi all,

I approached a couple of folks at ApacheCon in Vancouver about some work that I
am involved with that would benefit from an httpd module. I am sending this
message to the list to provide more information, and to seek advice on how we
should proceed.

We are developing a format we call "Map Markup Language", or MapML. The
objective of this format is to describe Web map semantics - that is scale /
zoom, projection, extent, features, styles, licenses, legends in the context of
a hypermedia media type that can be manipulated / interacted with through the
uniform interface alone.  We would like to eventually register the format as
text/mapml.

The niche for the format is best described as "HTML, but for maps".  The draft,
and evolving, specification for the format can be found here:
http://maps4html.github.io/MapML/spec/, which is one of a group of repos
belonging to the W3C Maps for HTML Community Group:
https://github.com/Maps4HTML.

We want to develop an httpd module, "mod_mapml" which will allow the admin to
configure MapML responses over a map tile cache, using one or more URI
templates as configuration parameters.  A Java servlet prototype for this
functionality is available: https://github.com/Maps4HTML/MapMLServer.  (For the
servlet, the parameters are passed via web.xml).

Examples of MapML responses can be elicited from a running instances of that
servlet here, for example:
http://geogratis.gc.ca/mapml/osm/?xmin=9720501&ymin=12017514&xmax=9721201&ymax=12017914&zoom=17&projection=OSMTILE
or
http://geogratis.gc.ca/mapml/fdr_current/?xmin=2312&ymin=2582&xmax=2952&ymax=3062&zoom=2&projection=CBMTILE

We would like some advice on how to proceed with the development of a module.
For instance should we pursue this as a third-party module? Can we tap into the
community for development assistance if we don't have the required skills
in-house? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joost van Ulden

Project Advisor, Earth Sciences Sector
Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
joost.vanul...@canada.ca / Tel: 778-960-9248

Conseiller à la gestion de projets, Secteur des sciences de la Terre
Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
joost.vanul...@canada.ca / Tél. : 778-960-9248