From: Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Sent: November 7, 2017 4:07:55 AM CST
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: We have soon 5 SVN repo's

Hi Steffen,

Am 07.11.2017 um 10:10 schrieb Steffen:
> Jim wrote below:
>
> /What, exactly, are the expected differences between trunk and 2.5.0-alpha?/
> I could not find the answer in this (long) thread ?

as far as I understand Daniel, he will tag current trunk as 2.5.0-alpha
or more likely 2.5.0-alpha1 or similar.

So at the moment he tags it, there will be no difference between trunk
and the tag. The tag will be a name for the state/contents of trunk at
the time of tagging. trunk can move further along but the given tag will
be frozen.

What is currently not clear is, whether Daniel tags dircetly from trunk,
or first copies trunk to a new branch 2.5.0 and tags that one. It will
not make an initial difference but the development procedure for the
future will differ.

Typically branching will be done as late as possible to prevent the
additional porting of patches through one more branch. On the other hand
if the tags get closer to something releasable, branching is necessary
to stabilize code, ie. being able to apply bigger changes somewhere
(trunk) without breaking the soon to be released stuff.

Regards,

Rainer