But we already HAVE an "automatic" ID... that's what the Vhost's
server_rec is. The issue is that there is no "one-size-fits-all" definition
of what such an automatic ID means or how it should be defined.

Is it just Vhost name + Port? That might be good for some modules,
but NOT good for others. What if the definition/config of the
Vhost changes between restarts? Should the 2 Vhosts have
the same ID (ie: are they the "same" Vhosts?) Again, for some
modules maybe yes, others maybe no. It is up to each module
to know and use what makes sense for itself.

An automatic ID is just unnecessary fluff... It's an API data field
that provides no real useful information beyond that which we
already provide.