On Thu, Apr 19, 2018, 09:32 Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 19, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Stefan Eissing <
> stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> >
> > Frankly, I think the current state of things does not work well. It
> seems folly to say we should change nothing, only have more stable releases.
>
> No one is saying we change *nothing*. There just seems to be disagreement
> that what we should change is from "release when it's ready" to "release
> when the calendar sez

No suggested changes have met with acceptance, other than "more tests" and
some undefined "more frequent" releases.

I have several years of threads to dev@ of your's and a couple other's
objections to every substantive change proposed to the underlying process
by myself and others. All offered to achieve more consistent results for
our users to count on. Generally with the rationals of "that wouldn't be
fun" or "that isn't the ASF spirit" and BFDL/NIH-tier levels of "we don't
do that, we do things this way... my way or the highway."

That's why I introduced the subject differently, no perscriptions. What
would you suggest we *change* that would be fun/make people happy/produce
"the best available version of httpd" on a regular basis? I'm 100% with
Stefan, changing nothing except expectations of "doing better" is pure
folly.

While it is great we have fun, that can't continue at the expense of
other's enjoyment, and the expense of perpetually broken "stable" releases.