> For a start it means that this part of our manual is invalidated the moment
> you add an If statement:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/sections.html

I agree it's not intuitive (either way), but which part of the above
invalidated?
It already says <if> is merged last.

When it's not nested, the <if> is part of the configuration and wins.
When it's nested, it's conditionally part of the configuration, and if
it's part of the configuration it wins.

> I am trying to get my head around how we can make If work like the docs
> above. Is If broken, or is require broken?

I don't agree that either is broken.  Neither <if> nesting semantic is
very intuitive but what we have seems pretty consistent to me -- it
acts the similar to how it would act if the enclosing scope is part of
your expression.

I don't really like the idea of an directive to reset the list of <if>
sections that have been accumulated by walking the config so far.

The most I can personally see here is providing more examples in
sections.html and the directive info for <if> to clarify that nesting
is complicated.