On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 04:51:56PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 03:27:31PM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> > At the moment I think we have a quality control problem for 2.4.x, yet I
> > find it hard to justify spending much time on writing test cases because
> > that stuff is run so rarely.  How many tests proposed in 2.4.x STATUS
> > have had a full test suite run?  I certainly don't always do it.  But if
> > we get the tests running all the time automatically it's much easier to
> > see a return on investment for improving test coverage.
>
> I see there's already a buildbot job for httpd trunk:
> https://ci.apache.org/waterfall?tag=httpd-trunk
> It seems this build job is configured to run a compile but it does not
> run the test suite? Putting Github/Travis questions aside, an easy way
> to get automated tests going with minimal effort today could be to run
> the existing tests inside httpd's existing buildbot job.
>
> The Subversion project has been doing this for years.
> See https://subversion.apache.org/buildbot/all

Yes, we have a buildbot which is great, but compared to a GitHub+Travis
workflow it has two downsides: buildbot is horribly complicated, and it
only runs *after* commits.  Seeing test results before merging a feature
to trunk to 2.4.x is a world from waiting for a buildbot run.

(To the first: adding a new build with different ./configure arguments
is a typically trivial copy&paste with .travis.yml even for somebody who
doesn't know Travis syntax; I spent an hour reading our bb config once
and was not confident to try changing it)

Regards, Joe