On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 03:35:15PM -0600, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> 4 day ago, you all saw this. 6 years ago, you all started using this on trunk.
>
> Don't know what I can to do help this along and honor the library
> author's wishes for all of us to walk away from the dead fork, and use
> the maintained fork. It's whatever it is, I'm out of here and removing
> the backport application branch, whoever 3rd upvotes this be prepared
> to apply this for us all, thanks.

I'm fine with PCRE 10.x as a trunk/2.5 feature.  PCRE upstream have
maintained 8.x better than e.g. zlib upstream have done in recent years
(last zlib release in 2017).  So I don't find the fact it's considered
EOL upstream presents any particular urgency, it's still supported
downstream on platforms people deploy to.

For 2.4.x I would argue it's better to keep a preference for 8.x over
10.x so that users aren't switched from one to the other across an
upgrade - with some new performance trade-off we know about - without
changing the environment/configure line?

Regards, Joe