On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 7:48 PM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Hi Joe, Yann and company,
>
> please consider this, we will not build against PCRE2 without pcre2-config
> installed from a pcre2-dev package. We find PCRE1 with pcre-config and link
> to it, no hassle.

My concern is about the defaut, what happens if no --with-pcre or
--with-pcre=yes is specified?

> If someone went to the trouble of installing pcre2, wouldn't we want
> to pick that
> up, even across a patch release?

I think that a lot of systems have both installed (including the -dev
packages for building) since pcre2 is the only one supported by some
projects now and at least httpd requires pcre1 (until the next
release) so it's likely there too already.
I haven't looked at the configure part of the patch yet, it's possible
that your proposed backport already picks up pcre1 when both are
available (which looks the most reasonable to me for 2.4.x), I'm just
lazily asking..

Regards;
Yann.