https://github.com/apache/httpd/pull/293

is the PR that contains the changes I just reverted
in trunk regarding the non-blocking SSL handshake.

I did not like to revert a set of changes by anyone
here. But our trunk CI is failing for some time now
and I felt this needs to be analyzed without interfering
with other ongoing work.

CI FAILURES observed:

1. test_h2_105_02 in test/modules/http2 fails reliably.
   Background: the test verifies that the mod_reqtimeout
     handshake configuration works.
   Failure: mod_reqtimeout has no chance to apply its
     timeout in the nonblocking ssl handshake.

2. test_h2_106_02 in test/modules/http2 fails sometimes.
   Background: the test sets "MaxRequestsPerChild 3" and
     "ServerLimit 2" and fires a sequence of requests on
     each time a new connection. The expected outcome is
     that all requests succeed, even though the server
     is restarting child processes.
   Failure: sometimes, request fail during the SSL
     handshake. I assume the connection gets accepted, but
     is not honored in regard to a graceful shutdown of
     the child.

 3. Travis CI test report errors in the log that seem to
    be caused by the changes. The errors are:

 [,,,] [mpm_event:error] [pid 51102:tid 140555589760768] (9)Bad file
descriptor: AH03465: process_socket: apr_pollset_add failure for write
completion

    Isolating the changes in a separate branch will allow
    us to see if these changes are connected to this or if
    another trunk revision caused this.

I hope we can have a working CI in trunk soon and find a
way forward to apply these changes.

Thank you,

Stefan