All ASF projects are expected to provide automatic nightly builds. We
just haven't gotten to around to that yet. The nightly builds live for
seven days each, and then get recycled, so as to not eat up too much
disk space.

Any non-automatic release is generally tagged with a sequential
version number. After someone rolls it, we vote on it's quality:
Alpha, Beta, General Release. A release can start out as Alpha and
work its way up to General Release as more people try it. A release
can also be downgraded if a problem is found later.

Of course, since the Subversion revision numbers are essentially tags,
we could also snag any given nightly build  (once we have them) and
designate it "version #.#.#", making a note in our status file that
version #.#.# corresponds to SVN revision ####.

Later, if we ever need to branch, we can branch on a revision number
as easily as a tag.

-Ted.

--
HTH, Ted.