On 2/17/07, Paul Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I understand the argument, but I am not aware of any other project at
Apache that includes a build number as part of their version number.
That doesn't mean you're the only one, but I think it's a minority
practice. And if it is a minority practice, there must be a good reason
to not do it on a general basis.

Not necessarily - a lot of people use EJB, is that a good reason for
me to use it?

Consensus != best practice.

Honestly, I don't give a dang how others do it, or if how we do it is
popular. I care that it adds value. In my opinion, adding the svn
revision that was used to create the release does that.

My point is the Build number is irrelevant to the release. If you
produce snapshots until an official build, then you've eliminated the
need for it. I never needed it, and I think eliminating it may ease
releases. What you're essentially doing is using the build number as THE
revision number. However, the revision doesn't need a promotion until
you're ready to vote on a release. So given three releasable versions
using your Build scheme (2.4.000, 2.4.256, 2.4.667), that's nothing
really more than 2.4.0, 2.4.1, and 2.4.2.

If you just use an arbitrary number, yes. 1,2,3 and 121, 256, 327 are
equally useful or useless depending on your outlook. If the glass half
full or half empty? :-)

On the other hand, doing it with the SVN revision adds the same sort
of information as the either type of numbering, but also provides the
benefit of giving our users an easy way to see exactly what the
changes are between snapshots or real releases.

So, it sounds like other than some philosophical musings on the
deterministic duality of release numbers, everyone is OK if I use SVN
revision for that number.

Cool, I'll try to get that working.

Larry