Brandon reply below.....

I am completely for using Maven 2 and conforming our source tree to it.
There were three issues, iirc, that (if they have not been fixed by the
maven crew) will require a bit of compromise or plugin writing.

#1 A serial number generator for builds does not easily exist for maven. We
had talked about using the svn repo revision number.
#2 We tried finding a way to add a date to our deployment zip file.
Unfortunately maven did not provide an easy way to access a current date
anywhere.
#3 There have been issues with the coverage tools combining with the unit
test tools. If we ran the unit tests, coverage tests, and also generated
reports, the tests would wind up running 3 times.

That being said, I think we should tackle these issues and make Maven our
build tool. Maven has excellent IDE integration now (IDEA and Netbeans are
both good). It makes it a snap to setup projects and get running.
Additionally, the Apache nerds have some maven processes that can help us to
more easily release software in accordance with Apache requirements.

Brandon