On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Brandon Goodin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As a follow up to all who are reading this thread. Let me be very clear. Any
> aggressive comments are made in jest and fun. We are all good friends here
> and enjoy the big brother banter. Please don't take this as an opportunity
> to truly dig on any one of us.

...well, except for Brandon. He really is a butthead. ;-)

Funny how everyone gets so worked up about how we'll implement
build.sh, isn't it? :-)

Since everyone has an opinion on this, here's mine: I think we should use Maven.

I agree with Clinton that there aren't *problems* with the current
iBATIS build, but at the same time, it would simplify how we do
releases, because as we are seeing, there are more requests (even from
us) for maven artifacts by our users, and mavenizing our build will
make meeting our needs easier.

IMO, the things that Clinton is asking for are not unreasonable, but
they are not uber-critical either.

Let's be really honest here: How critical is it that we are able to
"echo arbitrary information to the command line, such as classpath in
use and current version being built"? Seriously? :-/

Reality check: "Signs, MD5, and Uploads to Apache dist (with no
additional dependencies or configuration)" - how's this going to work,
via telepathy? :-D

It's going to be different if we use a different tool. Neither tool is
perfect, so yes, it'll suck. But ant sucks, too - just in a different
way.

My vote is we arrange the source tree to fit what maven expects.
Clinton: I don't care if you don't have to do that with ant. :-P Then,
lets see how close we can get to all of the current ant script. If we
can't get 100%, I'm OK with that, if we can get close and work towards
that goal.

At the end of the day, which ever one makes it easier for me to use
iBATIS (I really don't care about anyone else, sorry) is the one I
want. For me, that means Maven is the better choice. This is a one
time task, so maintenance is not that big of a deal, and it'll output
the jar (like ant does) and the maven artifacts (like ant does not).
It does more, and is a one time investment, let's just get it done and
move on.

Larry