> On May 15, 2019, at 12:54 PM, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> 2. Iceberg diff files should use synthetic keys
>
> A lot of the discussion on the doc is about whether natural keys are
> practical or what assumptions we can make or trade about them. In my opinion,
> Iceberg tables will absolutely need natural keys for reasonable use cases.
> And those natural keys will need to be unique. And Iceberg will need to rely
> on engines to enforce that uniqueness.

Agreed. One restriction that we should probably adopt is not allowing mutations
of the natural keys or the partition/bucketing. Allowing such mutations while
enforcing uniqueness would typically be expensive. Without those mutations,
uniqueness is relatively cheap to enforce.

> But, there is a difference between table behavior and implementation. We can
> use synthetic keys to implement the requirements of natural keys. Each row
> should be identified by its file and position in a file. When deleting by a
> natural key, we just need to find out what the synthetic key is and encode
> that in the delete diff.

+1

> With the physical representation using synthetic keys, we should also define
> how to communicate a natural key constraint for a table. That way, writers
> can fail if a write may violate the key constraints of a table.
>
> 3. Synthetic keys should be based on filename and position
>
> I think identifying the file in a synthetic key makes a lot of sense. This
> would allow for delta file reuse as individual files are rewritten by a
> “major” compaction and provides nice flexibility that fits with the format.
> We will need to think through all the impacts, like how file relocation works
> (e.g., move between regions) and the requirements for rewrites (must apply
> the delta when rewriting).

I’d recommend using the file and row number within the file. I believe Avro,
ORC, and Parquet all track row numbers and thus they are a basically free
synthetic id within each file. The critical feature is that each input split
needs to know how many rows are above it in the file, so that delete files can
be read efficiently.

.. Owen