I think we will eventually may want a branch, but I think it is too early
to create one now.

Branches are expensive. They require maintenance to stay in sync with
master, usually copying changes from master into the branch with updates.
Updating the changes to master for the branch is more difficult because it
is usually not the original contributor or reviewer porting them. And it is
better to catch problems between changes in master and the branch early.

I'm not against branches, but I don't want to create them unless they are
valuable. In this case, I don't see the value. We plan to add v2 in
parallel so you can still write v1 tables for compatibility, and most of
the work that needs to be done -- like creating readers and writers for
diff formats -- can be done in master.

rb

--
Ryan Blue