Thanks Benny. My specific thoughts about the spec and the properties are
captured in the spec PR https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/10280. The
spec is also implemented in the Spark implementation PR
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/9830, and I believe this follows the
same nature of how the information was captured in Netflix's
implementation with Spark, and Trino implementation (prior to formalizing
through that spec), both of which have been used reliably for years. I
think it also aligns with Ryan's feedback here
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/6420#issuecomment-1369280546 which
indicated the usage of properties.

The reasons for choosing properties:
* Not every table is a storage table and not every view is a materialized
view. I feel exposing the info as top level metadata is an overkill for the
original object type.
* The properties are simple. They contain either single snapshot ID each,
or single view version each, or lastly, the storage table identifier.
Engines can use them without issues (also as shown in the implementation).
* To be meaningful, the metadata fields should be captured in the engine
API as well, which is an effort that has to be pursued outside the Iceberg
community. Until engine APIs evolve, we would have to define a mapping
between Iceberg metadata fields and engine properties (only current place
in engine side to capture this info). This requires an additional spec on
its own, and it will introduce complexities. Hence it is always cleaner to
map Iceberg properties to engine properties and Iceberg metadata to
designated engine APIs. Mixing and matching (e.g., Iceberg metadata fields
as engine properties) just for the lack of other cleaner options does not
sound like a good idea in both short and long term.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Walaa.