+1 for dropping Java 8 as it is really old (3 versions behind latest Java
LTS version - 11, 17, 21).

Here was the thread from over a year ago on dropping JDK 8 support.
https://lists.apache.org/thread/gq08prw7tv8q6h71lfc9bjlj074ckccv

Hive's lack of Java 11 support was identified as a blocker. There doesn't
seem to be much progress according to the jira issue.

Should we drop the hive3 connector? assuming we have no problem with moving
the hive-metastore module to JDK 11.