Hi everyone,

I'd like to vote on PR #10955
<https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/10955> that
has been open for a while with the changes to add new type promotion cases.
After discussion, the PR has been scoped down to keep complexity low. It
now adds:

* An `unknown` type for cases when only `null` values have been observed
* Type promotion from `unknown` to any other type
* Type promotion from `date` to `timestamp` or `timestamp_ns`
* Clarification that promotion is not allowed if it breaks transform results

The set of changes is quite a bit smaller than originally proposed because
of the issue already discussed about lower and upper bounds values, and it
no longer includes variant. I think that we can add more type promotion
cases after we improve bounds metadata. This adds what we can now to keep
v3 moving forward.

Please vote in the next 72 hours:

[ ] +1, commit the proposed spec changes
[ ] -0
[ ] -1, do not make these changes because . . .

Thanks,

Ryan