Arguably, the website and its theme represents the projects' message.
And should be reflecting that of the community, and not just the
people who happen to be working on the changes in the website code.

Fixing existing or adding new content is different story: have a JIRA,
fix and commit it. Changing the style, content and the overall message
(in this case: "Ignite is now an in-memory DB") looks like a perfect
candidate to reach out for the consensus first. Consensus building
isn't an "extra noise", really.
--
  With regards,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.