Yakov,

Messages would help users understand what is wrong earlier, but will not
protect them from additional maintenance which is required in AI 2.4 and is
supposed to be removed in next AI releases.
Please note that in IEP-4 topic I proposed alternative solution - release
AI 2.5 now, but then release AI 2.6 as soon as BLT is fixed. I.e. it would
be emergency release.

Both approaches works for me, the main goal is to deliver original defaults
ASAP. However, approach with a single release looks better to me because it
will minimize number of migrations for users.

Vladimir.