Alexey, Ivan,

Agree. Keeping strong references to the Thread object is the source of
memory leak with ThreadLocals variables
and the values that it stores. ThreadLocalMap is bound to the Thread
lifespan [1], so I think when we are using
everything right all will be GC'ed correctly.
Is this memory leaks with ThreadLocal's you mean, Alexey? If not, please,
share your example.

Also, agree that these usages should be bound to the component lifespan.
But for `FileWriteAheadLogManager`
I think this variable used not semantically right. I've dumped all threads
(total ~49 threads)
that are using `lastWalPtr` in `FileWriteAheadLogManager`. For instance,
 * exchange-worker-#40%wal.IgniteWalRecoveryTest0%
 * sys-#148%wal.IgniteWalRecoveryTest1%
 * db-checkpoint-thread-#129%wal.IgniteWalRecoveryTest2%
Suppose everything would be OK here for `static` and `non-static` case of
ThreadLocal.

[1]
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/file/tip/src/share/classes/java/lang/Thread.java#l760

Maxim Muzafarov