Discussed with Petr privately. Proposal is:

1. The [Build] job runs without any checks.
2. There will be a new job [Sanity Checks], that runs all checks -
checkstyle, licenses, javadoc, check-suites.
3. [Sanity Checks] runs in parallel with [Build].
4. All TC jobs with tests depend on a result of the [Sanity Checks] job. If
the check job fails then a test job won't be started.
5. Users can disable the [Sanity Checks] job with a selector on the
Parameters tab of custom TC build.

If no one has objections I will create a JIRA ticket for that.