Adding a build-only job for 18.04 makes sense to me. A full test run on
every precommit seems a bit expensive but doing one once a week or
something like that might be a good idea to prevent runtime regressions.

As for switching the precommit from 16.04 to 18.04, I'd lean towards
keeping to 16.04 due to it being closer in terms of component versions to
common enterprise distros like RHEL 7.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon