On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 2:20 PM Jim Apple <apa...@jbapple.com> wrote:

> My goal is to have Impala keep up with (what I perceive to be) the most
> popular version of the most popular Linux distribution, for the purpose of
> easing the workflow of developers, especially new developers.

Sure, that makes sense. I use Ubuntu 18 myself, but tend to develop Impala
on a remote box running el7 because the dev environment is too heavy-weight
to realistically run on my laptop.

> 18.04 stopped being able to load data some time between June 9th and
> https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-18.04-from-scratch/14/ and June 12
> and
>
> https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-18.04-from-scratch/16/artifact/Impala/logs_static/logs/data_loading/catalogd.ERROR/*view*/
> .
> I tried reproducing the June 9 run with the same git checkouts (Impala and
> Impala-LZO) as #14 today, and data loading still failed.
>
> What RHEL 7 components did you have in mind that are closer to Ubuntu 16.04
> than 18.04?

Stuff like libc, openssl, krb5, sasl, etc are pretty different
version-wise. At least, I know when we made Kudu pass tests on Ubuntu 18,
we dealt with issues mostly in those libraries, which aren't part of the
toolchain (for security reasons we rely on OS-provided libs).

Generally I think precommit running on something closer to the oldest
supported OS is better than running on the newest, since it's more likely
that new OSes are backward-compatible. Otherwise it's very easy to
introduce code that uses features not available on el7, for example.