Thank you for all of the suggestions

Reopened https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-3918

> - I tried building using 'buildall.sh' but it failed with 'fatal: Not a git
> repository' when trying to do a git clean. Maybe some tweaks need to be
> made so that Impala can be built from a tarball? I worked around it using
> 'git init' inside my extracted directory.

https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/4336/

When this is in master, I'll cherry-pick it to branch-2.7.0

> - would be nice if the version number didn't have 'cdh5' in it (eg
> impala-shell-2.7.0-cdh5-INTERNAL, seems to come from bin/version.info,
> bin/save-version.sh, etc). Should probably be '2.7.0-incubating'

Lars is working on this now:

https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/4187/3

Some possibilities for 2.7.0:

1. Leave it. Pros: expedient; Cons: inaccurate, not Apache

2. Wait until we can change this is master without confusing existing
tools. Pros: clean; Cons: delay in releasing

3. Make a commit just to branch-2.7.0. Pros: Doesn't confuse existing
tools; Cons: Makes branch-2.7.0 not a pure subset of master.

What does everyone think?

> - can't seem to use testdata/bin/run-all.sh to start DFS. I get:
> Starting hdfs (Web UI - http://localhost:5070)
> Failed to start hdfs-datanode. The end of the log
> (/tmp/incubator-impala/testdata/cluster/cdh5/node-2/var/log/hdfs-datanode.out)
> is:
> Failed to start hdfs-datanode. The end of the log
> (/tmp/incubator-impala/testdata/cluster/cdh5/node-3/var/log/hdfs-datanode.out)
> is:
> Failed to start hdfs-datanode. The end of the log
> (/tmp/incubator-impala/testdata/cluster/cdh5/node-1/var/log/hdfs-datanode.out)
> is:
>
> That said, it appears that impalad built OK (with build-all.sh -notests)

I could fix this by making sure IMPALA_HOME was set correctly and
sourcing bin/impala-config.sh.

Opened https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-4093

Opened https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-4094

Filed https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-4095

> -- related: consider stripping debug info from some of the built deps? eg
> Kudu is 500+MB which seems unnecessary for a test dependency.

Which object is this? I don't find it.

$ find . -iname '*kudu*' -size +100M | wc -l
0

Thanks again, Todd! Your input as our mentor has been invaluable.