Hey,

Xiangdong Huang <saint...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, it is important for IoTDB to recognize which is the measurement name
> from a path. @Marko, that is why I said add a dot in the measurement will
> cause many modifications.

Right, I can only speak from a limited testing experience, where dots in
device and measurement IDs did not cause any issue (apart from the query,
obviously).

Specifically, I wrote a test with just the Java-API where I
a) create a tsfile with data points that use IRIs for device and measurement
b) query the tsfile for subsets of the data via file.query(queryExpression)

The latter is where I ran into the problem of the path components being
modified according to the described issue.
I went and added a Path subclass that uses reflection to set both private
fields (device and measurement) and the query works just fine.

> (Maybe not to many... we just need to let users claim which part of a path
> is a measurement name, and record it on disk, rather than just split the
> path with a dot symbol and use the last substring).

Well, maybe you could think about supporting backticks or quotes for the
user to indicate leave-alone parts of the query? Something like
  select `measurement.id.with.dot` from root.*.`device.id.with.dot`?

Anyway, for the API, I would just suggest to rethink the concat-then-split
approach for the two-argument constructor (that would be in the assumption the
user knows what he's doing).

Thanks,
Best Regards,
M.