Regarding the release candidate of 0.9.0 ...

Again a "jar" file is included in the source release. However it shouldn't be
possible for this to actually happen if the release is executed correctly.
I am trying to understand why this has happened again.

Let me be clear. When doing the release:perform step you should stage the
artifacts in the "target/checkout/target" directory and not the one in the
"target" directory directly.
The release build spawns a new build in the checkout directory which doesn't
use the "mvnw" wrapper and therefore no class file and no jar file should be in
the archive.

Please ensure you are staging the correct files.

Chris