Hi, Xiangdong,

Supporting hostname is really a good feature! However, we should consider these
cons carefully:

1. DNS request is an additional cost in nodes communication. In cloud
environment, the latency may be as large as hundreds of milliseconds(e.g.
across available regions), and local DNS cache is also an issue in some extreme
scenarios.
2. We should make the relationship between node IP, node hostname and node
identifier be clear. A node should not be treated as a new one if it changes
its IP or hostname. Or allowing to change IP only.

在 2021/8/25 下午11:15,“Xiangdong Huang”<saint...@gmail.com> 写入:

    Hi,

    Today Julian and I discussed some logic of the cluster module.
    Both of us feel it strange that we replace the hostname to IP before a
    cluster node starts up.
    I think it is not a very common way.

    hostname sometimes is very very helpful. For example, in K8S
    environment, a node's hostname never changes, but its IP may change.

    Best,
    Xiangdong Huang
    School of Software, Tsinghua University

     黄向东