Hi, Xiangdong

> I do not think we will abandon using IP. Either using IP or hostname depends
> on users. If they are sure they have a good DNS, they can use DNS; If they
> like IP or the nodes do not set the DNS, they can use IP. If they like, they
> can also mix-use the hostname and IP addresses. We do not need to care…..

As mentioned above, since users can use either IP or hostname, I don't realize
what the focus of this discussion is. I think the focus is on what the user
manual is exposed to the user? What are the functions provided? As for the
implementation of the code, I think it is OK to use hostname or IP.

In the k8s cluster, the hostname of some pods is also changed. If we only
replace IP with hostname, it will not make our iotdb run perfectly on k8s.
Therefore, I think it is not important to use hostname or IP. The important
thing is to realize the function of automatic service maintenance that can be
deployed on k8s.

Thanks,
---------------------------------------
Houliang Qi
BONC, Ltd
DNS request is an additional cost in nodes communication.

I do not think we will abandon using IP. Either using IP or hostname
depends on users.
If they are sure they have a good DNS, they can use DNS;
If they like IP or the nodes do not set the DNS, they can use IP.
If they like, they can also mix-use the hostname and IP addresses. We
do not need to care.....

We should make the relationship between node IP, node hostname and node
identifier be clear.

IMO, node identifier is the only option.

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Eric Pai <ericpa...@hotmail.com> 于2021年8月26日周四 下午4:46写道:

Hi, Xiangdong,

Supporting hostname is really a good feature! However, we should consider these
cons carefully:

1. DNS request is an additional cost in nodes communication. In cloud
environment, the latency may be as large as hundreds of milliseconds(e.g.
across available regions), and local DNS cache is also an issue in some extreme
scenarios.
2. We should make the relationship between node IP, node hostname and node
identifier be clear. A node should not be treated as a new one if it changes
its IP or hostname. Or allowing to change IP only.

在 2021/8/25 下午11:15,“Xiangdong Huang”<saint...@gmail.com> 写入:

Hi,

Today Julian and I discussed some logic of the cluster module.
Both of us feel it strange that we replace the hostname to IP before a
cluster node starts up.
I think it is not a very common way.

hostname sometimes is very very helpful. For example, in K8S
environment, a node's hostname never changes, but its IP may change.

Best,