At today’s sessions at community over code EU in a session about “Apache build
observability” we got a little spotlight on IoTDB.
The develocity folks pointed out Apache IoTDB as being the one Apache project
that provides the biggest room for improvement by enabling some of their
build-optimization tools.

I have created a PR : https://github.com/apache/iotdb/pull/12654

This enables predictive test-selection which should prioritize tests that are
most probable to be affected by changes and to skip ones that are more
definitely not going to be affected.

I was actively approached by the develocity folks here at the conference and
together we created a PR that should enable this for us.
Also did I take the liberty to also enable surefire to automatically re-run
failed tests for a maximum of 3 times before actually failing a test.

These changes should allow reducing the load we have on GH Actions by 40%
(according to the dashboards develocity has)

Also did they recommend utilizing build cache extensions, which should even
more greatly reduce the build time and the load on the GH runners.

If anyone wants to play around with the dashboards for IoTDB …. Please have a
look here.

https://ge.apache.org/scans?search.rootProjectNames=*IoTDB*

There are very interesting dashboards that show us stuff like flaky tests:
https://ge.apache.org/scans/tests?search.rootProjectNames=*IoTDB*&search.timeZoneId=Europe%2FBratislava&tests.sortField=FLAKY

Chris