On 11 December 2012 23:26, Robert Matthews <rmatth...@nakedobjects.org>wrote:

> Dan
>
> 1. A quick look at Eclipse and I'm struggling to see any seemingly random
> placing. All my components are together and so on. What I do have though is
> very long names as the group ids are also showing. This is set up in the
> Eclipse plug-in settings. That said I'd rather have shorter project names,
> and after making the change to shorter name everything is all over the
> place.  I'm happy with the proposed naming convention as I prefer the
> benefit of the ordering. That said, the core modules will still appear
> randomly.

Yeah, if you import with the advanced > template of [groupId]:[artifactId],
then everything is indeed ordered logically.

However, when Jeroen and I tried this on Monday, we decided not to use this
template, and just went with the default template, which is just the
artifactId.

Try it... you'll see it's quite a mess.

I was just playing around with Idea 12, and (I think) it also does the
equivalent, of naming its projects based on the artifact.

> 2 & 3. My previous expectations were that the core would be released at a
> particular point and the components would then be released independently to
> work against the core, and would probably be re-released again against the
> same core as they get improved. So the components would evolve more quickly
> than the core and the core would be improved in the background. (Although
> isolated fixes to the core would be made without causing the components any
> concern.)
>
> Yes, no change... that's my expectation as well.

> WRT the parenting, are we expecting the core modules to stay in step - all
> released each time - or will specific modules be release as they needed?

All the core modules would be released together, yes.

> An alternative strategy to the two options you suggested would be for the
> parent pom to be released as part of the core, that way it would always be
> ready for the components. Generally, though, I'm still trying to get my
> head around how this could/would/should work.  Maybe a skype call, were
> share our thoughts, might be worth while at this stage.

I think this is basically the same as having everything parented by core's
pom.  Indeed, the more I think about it, the more I am happy to go this
way.  I'm trying it out in a branch locally to see how it flies (ie testing
to see if I release core and then if I can release one of the components).

> 3. Such numbering makes a lot of sense. And as you say a large number is
> just a large number.

Ok, that's three of us in agreement.  It might be worthwhile doing a formal
vote on this one; perhaps in a day or two.