hi nico

On 5/25/06, Nicolas Toper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Just to summarize everything we have said on this issue.

There are two kinds of lock: the jcr.Lock and the
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.*. The two are somewhat not related. Am I
correct?

There are no issues with jcr.Lock (we can still read a node).

We need some mutex to avoid inconsistant IO operations using the
util.concurrent package. I like Tobias approach to add a proxyPM. It  seems
easy. But is this solution elegant enough and maintenable in the long run?
Would it help us later? (I think so since it would allow delayed write which
open the way for a 2 phase locking algorithm.) I am not in this project
since long enough to judge :p

Why didn't Jackrabbit go for serializable transaction by the way? I have
checked the code and it seems we have all the needed kind of locks to
support 2PL (out of scope of the current project of course).

If we plan to support serializable transaction soon, then case 2 is
acceptable. Is this the case?

About Tobias ProxyPM: I am ok to write it although it is out of scope of the
initial project, you all seem to really need it, so let's go for it. Jukka?

For a specific workspace, I would still allow read operations from other
sessions and isolate all write access (this way there will be no conflict).
I can even make persistant the modification using an already existing PM in
case of crash. One question though: I cannot guarantee the transaction would
be later committed without exception. We can choose to ignore this issue or
add an asynchronous way to warn the session. What are your thoughts on this?

we already have this scenario. a session's modifications are
potentially committed
asynchronously and the commit can fail for a number of reasons. that's
fine with me.

cheers
stefan

This means a modification in the core package. Are you all OK with this?

By the way, this kind of algorithm is called a pessismistic receiver based
logging message algorithm. We use it in distributed systems.

Thanks for your support and ideas.
nico
My blog! http://www.deviant-abstraction.net !!