I think you are on the right track.  After extensively looking through source
code it looks like jackrabbit has references to my ng:file node along with
the jcr:versionHistory and jcr:baseVersion etc...  My question is: Where is
my app storing this version information if I potentially have the versioning
persistence manager set up incorrectly?  Right now i have the
schemaObjectPrefix for my workspace and versioning set to the same value.  I
am about to try having different prefixes, however, i assumed that the
persistenceManagers would  use different table names even if the prefixes
are set to be the same.  Do both persistenceManagers use the same table
names?  The following is my repository.xml config.  Please advise.  Thanks!

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
   contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
   The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
   (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
   the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
-->
<!DOCTYPE Repository PUBLIC "-//The Apache Software Foundation//DTD
Jackrabbit 1.2//EN"

"http://jackrabbit.apache.org/dtd/repository-1.2.dtd";>
<!-- Example Repository Configuration File -->
<Repository>

    <!--
        virtual file system where the repository stores global state
        (e.g. registered namespaces, custom node types, etc.)
    -->
    <FileSystem class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">

    </FileSystem>

    <!--
        security configuration
    -->
    <Security appName="testApp">
        <!--
            access manager:
            class: FQN of class implementing the AccessManager interface
        -->
        <AccessManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.security.SimpleAccessManager">
            <!--  -->
        </AccessManager>

        <LoginModule
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.security.SimpleLoginModule">
           <!-- anonymous user name ('anonymous' is the default value) -->

           <!--
              default user name to be used instead of the anonymous user
              when no login credentials are provided (unset by default)
           -->
           <!--  -->
        </LoginModule>
    </Security>

    <!--
        location of workspaces root directory and name of default workspace
    -->
    <Workspaces rootPath="${rep.home}/workspaces"
defaultWorkspace="default"/>
    <!--
        workspace configuration template:
        used to create the initial workspace if there's no workspace yet
    -->
    <Workspace name="@wsp.name@">
        <FileSystem
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">

        </FileSystem>

                <!--     PersistenceManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.db.DerbyPersistenceManager">

        </PersistenceManager  -->

        <PersistenceManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.db.OraclePersistenceManager">

        </PersistenceManager>

        <!-- Causes an exception.  need to figure out why.
        <SearchIndex

        </SearchIndex>
        -->
    </Workspace>

    <!--
        Configures the versioning
    -->
    <Versioning rootPath="${rep.home}/version">
        <FileSystem
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">

        </FileSystem>

        <PersistenceManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.db.OraclePersistenceManager">

        </PersistenceManager>
    </Versioning>