Angela Schreiber wrote:
but that's a different story isn't it? i was talking about the
compliance class (and the method set).

Probably. I just wanted to make sure that no time is spent on something that is broken in the spec...

RFC 3253 defines a separate behaviour for version-controlled collections.

I'm not completely sure what the issue is? A version controlled collection is a specific type of a regular version controlled resource, it just also records information about version controlled children...

what i meant:

http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/rfc3253.html#version-controlled-collection.feature
states the following:

"As with any versionable resource, when a collection is put under version control, a version history resource is created to contain versions for that version-controlled collection. In order to preserve standard versioning semantics (a version of a collection should not be modifiable), a collection version only records information about the version-controlled bindings of that collection.

In order to cleanly separate a modification to the namespace from a modification to content or dead properties, a version of a collection has no members, but instead records in its DAV:version-controlled-binding-set property the binding name and version history resource of each version-controlled internal member of that collection.
[...]

A version-controlled collection has all the properties of a collection and of a version-controlled resource. In addition, the version-controlled-collection feature introduces the following REQUIRED property for a version-controlled collection.

14.1.1 DAV:eclipsed-set (computed)
[...]"

Clarifying: the difference between a collection and a non-collection with respect to WebDAV versioning is that the version-controlled state of a collection *additionally* includes the binding-set (for the members), but not the members itself.

however: the patch provided by jeremi and modified by rob does
not distinguish between collections and non-collection resources.
in both cases the underlying repository Node is made 'versionable'.
consequently both collections and non-collections behave the
same way (i.e. like version-controlled resources), which is from my understanding not what the RFC defines. see quote above.

do i miss something?

Hm, probably I'm partly confused because I've "grown up" with RFC3253 semantics, and haven't used collection versioning in JCR so far (the system I currently work on only can version leaf files + properties).

It seems the counterpart of a version controlled collection in WebDAV would be a JCR node where all children have OnParentVersionAction=IGNORE, meaning they are always version-controlled independently of the parent. I'm not sure whether anything else can be exposed in a RCF3253 compliant way.

We may have to ask Geoff for advice :-).

Best regards, Julian