A path is pretty fundamental to jcr, not having one would be like not having a primary key for a bean retrieved from an orm solution. As most orm's require beans to specify a pk I do not see the problem with ocm doing the same. Trying to work around this I think would lead the ocm to making all sorts of assumptions including all objects are created via the ocm when there are times when working (esp. it would seem with client/server stuff) that the object may not have been originally retrieved via the ocm (I'm thinking value object patterns).

-paddy