On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:43, Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com> wrote:
> Currently node types are integral part of the repository. There is a
> special storage mechanism (the file custom_nodetypes.xml), which is
> non-transactional and problematic for clustering.
>
> To simplify the architecture ('microkernel'), could the node type
> functionality be implemented outside the kernel

+1

> as some kind of observation listeners?

The microkernel shouldn't know about nodetypes. It should treat
everything as unstructured.

The higher layer, that enforces node types would store them in a
well-known location, and access them when needed. If these need to be
cached in-memory and a cluster is used, then we need observation
listeners.

Which makes observation listeners an integral part of the microkernel, btw.

> The node type configuration could be stored as
> regular nodes in s special tree.

+1

> When registering or modifying a node
> type, existing nodes may have to be updated of course. The node type
> information itself could be stored in the nodes itself as a hidden
> property.

Isn't that the case already? A node points to its a node type
definition, and eg. if that one is not found, Jackrabbit automatically
falls back to nt:unstructured.

Regards,
Alex

--