Hi Arnout,

On Tue, 2023-05-09 at 09:57 +0200, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jackrabbit uses the fine mechanism of releasing unstable versions on
> 'x.y' version lines where 'y' is odd, and stable releases where 'y'
> is
> even.
>
> This scheme is not super well-known in the Maven ecosystem, and I
> think there's a risk of people being on unstable versions without
> realizing it.

First of all I think it would be good to have a statement on what an
'unstable' release means. I scanned the downloads page [1] but I didn't
find a definition:

- are unstable versions less validated than stable ones?
- are API breakages OK to be introduced in unstable versions?

> Of course that's ultimately on them, but I wonder if it wouldn't be
> better to have only the stable releases on Maven Central, and have
> the
> unstable versions only on https://repository.apache.orgĀ - that way
> people might somewhat more consciously 'opt in' to also seeing the
> unstable releases?

A simpler change might be to specific qualifiers ( reference at [2] )
and keep the current process, e.g. after version 1.52.0 the next
unstable release would be 1.53.0-milestone-X, with the initial stable
release being 1.53.0 . This would cut down on some of the confusion.

At the same time, I think the odd/even versioning has some implications
on OSGi bundle deployments, but I am not sure how important this is for
Oak. In Sling we follow the same scheme, but we only release even
version, odd versions are only snapshots.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/downloads.html
[2]: https://maven.apache.org/pom.html#version-order-specification