Hello,
As a casual and very modest contributor to the project (for now), I must say
I fully agree with Phil Steiz.
Setting up Eclipse project takes really 10 minutes and building was really
easy.
I don't think maven will bring enhancements in this domain but maybe more in
site generation for example and other classical reporting sites.

Regarding decisions about Maven, from my experience Maven2 seems now stable
and maybe going on Maven3 would be a little risky because in my Maven (1 &
2) experience,
build get stable after more than one minor versions.
In my opinion Ant should be kept besides maven, but this is my opinion of
course.

Regards
Philippe