On 28/11/12 14:16, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 28/11/12 10:59, Damian Steer wrote:

> See also JEP-169 "Value Objects". [1]
>
> So presumably terms would be value-ish. Ditto triple and quad.
>
>> Yes
>
>> I didn't quite understand the implications of [1] but the
>> object-as-value and structural equality makes sense.

<https://blogs.oracle.com/jrose/entry/value_types_in_the_vm> is a dense
brain dump :-)

"As a compiler (JIT) geek, I have seen many hopefully “automagic”
scalarization or unboxing optimizations strain and fail to achieve their
promise.  I have concluded that user advice is necessary."

>> .filter.groupBy is more like a presentation API issue to be built on
>> top.  But if the basics needed can be added to PURR interfaces with too
>> much impact then fine.

The idea is you implement Iterable<Triple> and get the filter / group by
etc 'for free' ('free' does not entail performant, other conditions may
apply...).

(And if you're wondering how they'll add methods to Iterable without
breaking code see 'default methods')

Damian