Did you mean to just include the jena-osgi.jar in the apache-jena/
dist? It would add only 7 MB.

If on the otherside we do a separate download of jena-osgi, we
probably want a separate 'apache-' like dist ZIP/tar.gz instead of the
direct JAR file - not sure how well the mirrors (and anti virus
software) would like a direct JAR download.

This would need to include the bundle JAR inside with a README and
extract the NOTICE.

Also - should a OSGi download ZIP also contain the other bundles it
depend on? (Similar to lib/ in the Jena distribution)?  I am not sure
if this would be convenient or not for Non-Maven OSGi users.

It's not that big:

stain@biggie-utopic:~/src/jena/apache-jena-osgi/jena-osgi-test/target/eosgi-dist$
du -hs felix/lib
11M    felix/lib
stain@biggie-utopic:~/src/jena/apache-jena-osgi/jena-osgi-test/target/eosgi-dist$
ls felix/lib/
commons-csv-1.0.jar           jcl-over-slf4j-1.7.6.jar
org.everit.osgi.dev.testrunner.junit4-3.0.4.jar
commons-lang3-3.3.2.jar        jena-osgi-2.13.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.ops4j.pax.tipi.hamcrest.core-1.3.0.1.jar
httpclient-osgi-4.2.6.jar      jena-osgi-test-2.13.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.ops4j.pax.tipi.junit-4.11.0.1.jar
httpcore-osgi-4.2.5.jar        jsonld-java-0.5.1.jar
slf4j-api-1.7.6.jar
jackson-annotations-2.3.0.jar  libthrift-0.9.2.jar
slf4j-log4j12-1.7.6.jar
jackson-core-2.3.3.jar           log4j-1.2.17.jar
jackson-databind-2.3.3.jar     org.everit.osgi.dev.testrunner-4.0.3.jar

(The *-test and everit/ops4j bits wouldn't be in such a dist)

This reminds me - shouldn't jena-osgi include the additional notices
as in apache-jena/NOTICE?

In the jena-osgi-tidy pull-request I copy-pasted the relevant bits
(only Jena and Xerces bits) now to jena-osgi/META-INF/NOTICE

.. ideally this should be generated by Maven.  Are there any others I forgot?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)