Github user ajs6f commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/227

    I'm definitely cool with squashing a bit. I think that helps posterity a
lot. Two possible (plausible?) principles:

    1. Each post-squash commit should move the codebase from a does-build state
to a does-build state.
    2. Each post-squash commit should have a very clear log message, so that if
you just read the log messages without seeing the code, you would get a rough
idea of what was being attempted. (No cut-and-pasting log messages over and
over, even though I do that all the time! :) )

---
with INFRA.
---