I'd like to offer TDB2 as a contribution to Apache Jena.

It is by no means "finished" (is anything software ever finished?) but it is sufficiently there to talk about and kick the tyres; I'll send notes about the technical state of TDB2 separately in a moment.

* It adds project overhead. The build is only a couple of minutes, including upload time, (a lot of testing is done with in-memory databases, like TDB1, which makes setup and teardown of tests much faster). However, more stuff in the codebase is still more to get right for a release.

* Support: while TDB2 works, it is unproven and rough round the edges (unclear errors message, stacktraces rather than meaningful messages etc) and questions/tickets may be quite hard to respond to (complex situations; no track record of what's gone wrong before). Testing on MS Windows or macOS has not been done.

* Integration: It is not stable enough to be used in mainstream Fuseki2 as the default persistent database. I see this as happening gradually. There is a Fuseki+TDB2 jar built at the moment but you have to use configuration files to setup the database.

https://github.com/afs/mantis/blob/master/use-fuseki-tdb2.md

* Initial status: I suggest we label it "incoming" or some such - it
would not hold up a release for example, and not everything might be fixed at the point of a Jena release. It shouldn't stop the main code set that users rely on getting out in the usual cycle.

* Legal issues: the code has always been under the Apache License (original work was done as part of grant from the UK gov which required open source deliverables) but it would be simpler and cleaner for, e.g. moving or fixing copyright/licence notices around, for there to be software grants. The two parties involved are myself and Epimorphics Ltd. Both parties are willing to submit the paperwork.

* A project vote. This is a new set of modules so a formal, explicit vote seems worthwhile.

Thoughts, concerns, questions?

    Andy

The code:
https://github.com/afs/mantis
(I can clean this up before integration as to what we agree on, so that there is less noise and churn later).

Builds:
org.seaborne.mantis:tdb2
org.seaborne.mantis:fuseki-tdb2-server